OELSNITZ: A LOVELY LOCATION IN THE ERZGEBIRGE The Glückauf tower The mining path starts and ends at the museum of mining. The walk lasts around 4 hours and takes the visitor on a tour through the mining past of Oelsnitz. Along the way there are 18 pillars displaying interesting, bizarre and informative items about mining in the area. On the Deutschlandschacht pit heap, the highest point on the route, is the Glückauf observation tower, which offers a fantastic view of Oelsnitz and the surrounding area.
The St. Briccus pit is one of the oldest mines in the Annaberg district, now open as a visitors' mine. Tours are available but must be booked in advance. Please check our website for further information.
The origin of the settlement called "Mědník", later renamed Měděnec ("copper"), was closely connected to the mining activities that probably started on the local hillock in the 10th century. The hillock, which is completely pierced by old mining galleries, dominates its surroundings and on the top there is a village chapel. The first documented references of mining dates back to the year 1449. At that time there were mainly argentiferous coppers ores extracted, and other minerals, such as silver, tin, pyrite and chalcopyrite.
It is said that the town was established in 1550 when a strong storm uprooted a robust fir tree and under its roots was found a rich argentiferous streak. Very soon thereafter, a deep mine was built there together with iron-mills for processing iron ore. Since the 17th century rifles were manufactured there.
The history of the Hora Svaté Kateřiny village is closely connected to silver and copper mining. The fact that especially copper - the ore that other parts of the Krušné hory Mountains were low on - was mined there and also facilitated the growth of the Hora Svaté Kateřiny and made it of great importance. Practically since the 1540s Hora Svaté Kateřiny has supplied this raw material to international markets.
Mikulov is first mentioned at the beginning of the 15th century when silver was sought after here. Sometime after that, silver was found there and the village (later the mining town) started to develop. Silver and lead were both mined there. In 1597, the village was promoted as the Royal mining town. Nowadays, the town is known for winter sports. There are ski slopes and well-maintained cross-country tracks and you can also take the Krušnohorská magistrála trail. In the summer, the area is great for all hiking and cycling lovers.
Mainly tin was extracted in the area surrounding Cinovec but in 1547 they found silver in the Nevěřící Tomáš (Doubting Thomas) mine. Other elements such as molybdenum, wolfram, and tin of course, were extracted there in intervals till 1990. In the village, there are two border crossings and a border path for cyclists and pedestrians. In winter, the tracks of the Krušnohorská magistrála trail pass through the village.
Though ore mining started in the Krušné hory Mountains, it also affected the town itself. It became a trade centre supplying the mountain villages. The Thirty-Years´ War had tragic consequences since the town held a strategic position. After the war, the town was recovering from war losses for a very long time and it was the coal mining that helped it to fully recover. Finally, coal became the town´s doom. In 1962, the Czechoslovak Communist Party decided to demolish the town since there were hundreds of millions of tons of coal under it.
The planetarium in Most is a public educational establishment. Its cupola is located on the roof of the Reprezentační dům (Entertainment House) of the town of Most in the centre, which makes it a symbol of this cultural house that cannot be ignored. The programme consists of animations of astronomical phenomena, short films and large-screen projections. All programmes are continuously completed by new findings and interesting facts from astronomy and cosmonautics.
The observatory is located in the area around the Hněvín castle in the town of Most. The observatory is named after a Czech astronomer and climatologist, RNDr. Antonín Bečvář. In the observatory cupola there is an efficient Gustav Heyde refractor that enables the approximation of observed objects up to 300x. In case the weather is not good, the visitors can watch audiovisual programmes with interesting facts from solar system research and news from cosmonautics.