Oblastní muzeum v Mostě/Regional Museum in Most
For more information
The beginning of a museum in Most dates back to 1888, when the Městské (Town) Museum was founded. The museum focused mainly on the history and traditional arts of German citizens. In 1928 the Podkrušnohorské museum in Most was founded and focused on the Czech state and residents of the Krušné hory Mountains foothills. After the occupation of borderland in 1938 the Podkrušnohorské museum was shut down and its collections were transferred to the Town Museum. At the end of the war, when Záluží was bombed, a part of the collections were transported to the Milešov castle. After the war the collections were returned to Most. The museum, together with archives, was located in the building of the former German museum. After the old town of Most was demolished, the museum was moved several times. Finally it was placed in the building of the former German grammar school that was later also the home of the Střední průmyslová škola in Most (Secondary Industrial School). At the present time the museum is focused on the history and nature of the region of Most and its environs. Among its exhibitions there is a collection of furniture from 17th - 19th century periods; an exhibition of Baroness Ulrika von Lewetzov, collections of minerals and an exhibition of natural history.