The Must See Three
daily (excl. 24th Dec.) April – October 9.30am – 6.00pm | November – March 10.00am – 5.00pm We also open outside of these times for organised groups. Last entry 30 minutes before closing.
Tuesday – Sunday (excl. 24th Dec.) April – October 10.00am – 5.30pm | November – March 10.00am – 5.00pm Also open on bank holiday Mondays. We are more than happy to arrange guided tours for organised groups outside of our normal opening hours. Last entry 30 minutes before closing. Closed between 7th and 25th January 2014.
Tuesday – Sunday (excl. 24th Dec.) April – October 10.00am – 6.00pm | November – March 10.00am – 5.00pm Also open on bank holiday Mondays. We are more than happy to arrange guided tours for organised groups outside of our normal opening hours. Last entry 45 minutes before closing. Gardens: Open all year round. Ticketed entry: April – October, daily, 9.30am – 6.00pm.
For more information
When Augustus the Elector of Saxony had Augustusburg Castle built between 1568 and 1572, he chose its location well. Visible for miles around, this hunting lodge and summer retreat towers 516 m above the Zschopau valley, perched on a hilltop of porphyritic igneous rock. Even after more than 400 years, this monumental building has lost nothing of its grandeur. Over the past few centuries, the castle has had an eventful history and has even undergone structural change. As a result, it has been a popular destination for day-trippers for several decades now. Thanks to its impressive hill-top location, Augustusburg Castle is known as the Crown of the Erzgebirge mountains. Although located far from Germany’s historical centres of power, the Augustusburg is considered to be one of the most beautiful Renaissance castles in Central Europe today. Its trompe l’oeil murals, church and well house are not to be missed!
In only a few places in Germany are the myth and magic of the Erzgebirge region as strong as they are at the medieval Scharfenstein Castle, built around 1250 when the Erzgebirge mountains were first colonised following the discovery of local silver ore. Scharfenstein Castle is one of the oldest royal residences in Saxony and was occupied and used continuously for more than 750 years, with different building phases shaping its appearance during this time. That is why the keep dates from the original medieval castle (from around 1250), while the castle’s famous portal was added 400 years later during the Renaissance.
Lichtenwalde Castle and Gardens
The Lichtenwalde Castle and Gardens are considered to be one of the most remarkable examples of baroque architecture and landscaping in Germany. A minister of Augustus the Strong had the threewinged estate built between 1722 and 1726, whilst his son designed the castle’s gardens. In 1772, the estate passed to the Counts Vitzthum von Eckstädt, who lived there until 1945. All ceremonial rooms were on the first floor, whilst the counts’ living quarters were on the second floor. Meanwhile, the ground floor housed the servants’ quarters. The King’s Room in the left wing of the castle was reserved for high-ranking guests, including the Saxon king. This suite connects the Green Salon, the Counts’ Library, the Red Salon, whose contents were largely lost in the turmoil of post-war Germany, and the Chinese room, characterised by its striking authenticity. Today, the castle is home to the Treasury Museum, filled with artefacts of bygone Asian and African cultures.
At the rear of the west wing, two three-storey residential buildings – containing the coach house, chapel and tea house – enclose the inner courtyard.