The Virgin Mary Assumption church
duben a říjen: středa - neděle 10:00 - 16:00, květen - září: úterý - neděle 10:00 - 18:00, listopad - březen: hromadné výpravy na objednávku, minimum 10 osob
For more information
The church of the Virgin Mary Assumption in Most is a late Gothic church that was built between the years1517-1550 after a city fire in 1515. The three-aisled edifice was realised according to the designs of Jakub Heilmann from Schweinfurt. In its interior you will be attracted by a Gothic rostrum with newly discovered original paintings of the panels, a font, an organ and so-called indrawn pillars that bound the space of the single peripheral chapels and section of the gallery decorated by Renaissance relics with Biblical scenes. The church became famous especially in 1975, when it was moved on rails to save it since the old town was going to be destroyed because of brown coal mining. The church was transferred as a whole. Everything that was possible to dismantle was dismantled and then the walls were reinforced by a steel structure. The weight of the whole unit was 10 thousand metric tons. The Škoda company in Pilsen manufactured special transport belts on which the church was moved on small wheels. The whole transport took nearly a month and was monitored electronically with care. The church covered altogether 841 meters with an average speed of 2.16 centimetres per minute. This unique transfer is noted in the Guinness Golden Book of World Records as the transfer of the heaviest object by way of rail in the world.
Nowadays you will find the church close to the Baroque hospital with the Gothic church of the Holy Spirit in the former Pražské suburb. The church of the Virgin Mary Assumption was again open for the public in 1988. After 2 years, the construction and conservation works on a Baroque altar 17 m high were finished in 1993. Many of the artistically valuable works from original rich equipment that illustrated connections with Saxon-Meissen sphere were preserved. Renaissance tombstones of important Most burgesses (e.g. Mikuláš Ries, a goldsmith and a long-time head of the church construction, or Ursula and Magdalena from Veitmíle) were returned to the church. In 2012 the church was declared a national historical landmark.